Connect with us

Economy

UN removes marijuana from the list of most dangerous drugs; Brazil voted against

Published

on

São Paulo – The UN Commission on Narcotics decided on Wednesday (2) to remove marijuana from the list of most dangerous drugs in the world. The agency voted on a recommendation from the World Health Organization (WHO) that suggested reclassifying the substance. Of the 53 countries in the commission, 27 voted in favor of reclassification. Another 25 were against it, and a delegation abstained.

Brazil voted against it, following the guidance of the Bolsonaro government. Countries like China, Egypt, Nigeria, Pakistan and Russia also said no. On the other hand, the measure was supported by the American countries. Uruguay, Colombia, Ecuador and Mexico were favorable, as were the USA and Canada.

Until then, marijuana was on the same list of substances as heroin, for example. This index was launched in 1961, at the Convention on Narcotic Drugs, which started the so-called “war on drugs” worldwide.

The decision has a symbolic weight, as it will still be up to countries to define the status of each substance internally. But it represents yet another victory in the fight against criminalization.

In recent years, a number of countries have legalized recreational marijuana use. Canada, for example, took this step last year. That year, five North American states also decided, in plebiscites, to release the use of the herb. Last month, it was Mexico’s turn to decide on legalization. Previously, even in 2017, Uruguay had been the pioneer of this type of measure on the continent.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

incompetence, neglect, omission and violation, says expert

Published

on

By

São Paulo – The record abstention (51.5%) on the first day of the National High School Examination (Enem) 2020 reflects the incompetence, neglect, undue omission of functional performance and violation of the duty of the Ministry of Education (MEC). The assessment was made today (18) by the executive president of the organization Todos pela Educação, Priscila Cruz.

Data from the National Institute of Educational Studies and Research Anísio Teixeira (Inep), the MEC organ responsible for the exam, of the 5,523,029 enrolled, 2,680,697 (48.5%) attended. A record abstention of 51.5%. In Enem’s 20 years, the record so far had been broken in 2009: 37.7%.

Enem exclusion

“The # Enem2020 with 51.5% effectiveness in excluding students”, Gregório Grisa, professor at the Federal Institute of Rio Grande do Sul (IFRGS) and specialist in educational data, recorded in his social networks.

The president of the National Union of Students (UNE), Iago Montalvão, recalled that the result confirmed the prognoses of the student entities. “Just as we said. Record abstention. Because the students didn’t want to take the exam. Not! Because they didn’t feel safe, and sometimes they were even prevented from entering crowded rooms. Another poorly organized Enem in the Bolsonaro government. The student loses! ”

Federal deputy Glauber Braga (Psol-RJ) mocked the Minister of Education, Pastor Milton Ribeiro. “The 1st day of Enem had a record abstaining of 51.5%. Most students did not. Several who were unable to enter and did not receive adequate satisfaction. The Minister of Education still had the courage to say that it was ‘a success’. The fight against denialism is daily. ”

check out

Copywriting: Cida de Oliveira – Edition: Helder Lima

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 - 2020 - Glco Newspaper | All rights reserved