Connect with us

Economy

Private school students and teachers catch covid-19 after 15 days of classes

Published

on

São Paulo – After detecting contaminated students and teachers
with covid-19, the private schools Gracinha and Graded suspended classes from
high school that were released November 3 by the mayor of São Paulo,
Bruno Covas (PSDB). Even carrying out few activities, with a maximum of 20% of students
class and security protocols allegedly better than the network
the private network was not able to contain the advancement of the coronavirus in its
units, as indicated, still in August, a study made by researchers from
three countries. But that was ignored by the municipal and state governments.

According to the newspaper Folha de S. Paulo, the private schools Gracinha and Graded confirmed that there were cases of covid-19 among students. The São Luís school did not inform if there was confirmation, but it also informed the parents of the suspension of high school and extracurricular activities for students in early childhood education and in the early years of elementary school (from the 1st to the 5th year).

At Graded School, located in Morumbi, cases of covid-19 were confirmed in six students. In addition, 17 teachers are suspected of being infected. “Positive cases in our community have increased and, consequently, have impeded our ability to remain fully operational for face-to-face education,” the school said in a statement to parents.

The Gracinha school, located in Itaim Bibi, had the confirmation
of a 2nd year high school student with covid-19 and other cases
suspects. “In view of the increase in the number of covid-19 cases in the city,
confirmed cases at school, suspected cases between staff and students and
the need to isolate contaminated persons, as well as all those
had contact with them, we opted to suspend the reception activities, the
reinforcement and in-person classes at the school ”, informed the school.

Despite the registration of cases of covid-19 among teachers and students from private schools, the Union of Educational Establishments in the State (Sieeesp) filed a public civil action, on the 10th, for the city of São Paulo to be obliged to release regular classes at all stages of teaching, with at least 50% of students.

Risks already pointed out

Also in September, prosecutor Daniel Augusto Gaiotto, from the São Paulo Public Ministry of Labor (MPT-SP), had already pointed out that the security protocols prepared by private schools to prevent covid-19 back to school were “weak, very superficial “. Gaiotto also said that “the provision document should be something much more elaborate. He seems more concerned with the students, nothing says about the teacher ”.

In addition, researchers from the interdisciplinary group Ação Covid-19 and Rede Escola Pública created a simulator indicating that, even with all safety protocols being followed, back to school in São Paulo would cause contamination by covid-19 in up to 46.35 % of students and teachers after three months. This considering only elementary and high school students. Even following the rules established by the João Doria government (PSDB), up to 35% of students participate in classroom activities at a time. And starting from just one infected person.

According to the survey, a 6.86% attendance limit would be required to ensure the safety of the school community, which would make school reopening impossible. The tests considered that most people would respect the rules of hygiene, the use of masks and the social distance of 1.5 meters. And that there would only be three crossings between them per day: at the entrance, at the exit and at recess. Even so, the contamination had a high potential.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

more unemployment and more informality

Published

on

By

São Paulo – Government, businessmen and some parliamentarians were in tune with the defense of the bill that, if approved, would lead to the creation of Law 13,467 in 2017. The so-called labor reform, after all, would lead to the creation of millions of jobs. This would happen to the extent that it would end the rigidity of the legislation, which they treated as being “plastered”, facilitating hiring and giving the much-needed “modernization” to the Brazilian labor market.

Because the law completed three years on November 11 “and nobody celebrated, not even timidly”, recalls analyst Marcos Verlaine, from the Inter-Union Department of Parliamentary Advisory (Diap). “Among the expectations generated by the authors, the government of that time, the businessmen, who sponsored, defended and acted strongly in Congress to approve it, the media and reality, remained the harsh reality”, he says, in an article. He defines the measure passed by Congress as a “capital Trojan horse” to implode labor rights.

Collective bargaining?

The insistent defense of the “negotiated over the legislature”, a recurring expression at the time, was not to privilege negotiation, notes the analyst. “It was to remove rights, since the negotiations – both CCT (ccollective labor agreements) and ACT (collective labor agreements) – they never prevented, on the contrary, that the conventions surpass the CLT, nor that the agreements surpass the conventions. ”

The “millions” of jobs did not come, even before the pandemic. The growth in occupation was basically due to informal work. In 2016, the year before the “reform”, the country had 10.1 million unpaid employees in the private sector and 22.4 million self-employed workers. Last year, they were 11.6 million and 24.2 million, respectively (check table). The data are from the National Household Sample Survey (Pnad) Continua, from IBGE.

Modernization or precariousness?

Employment with a wallet fell. And the Gini index at work, which measures inequality, which until 2015 fell, rose again the following year and has not stopped.

The “reform” introduced hiring modalities, such as intermittent work. They were also presented as items of the necessary “modernization”, but union members and researchers identify them as additional signs of precariousness in the market. Although still small, the participation of the intermittent modality has been growing.

This week, the Federal Supreme Court (STF) began to judge direct actions of unconstitutionality against intermittent work. In his vote, the rapporteur, Minister Edson Fachin, considered the item unconstitutional and causing damage to workers’ health. But his colleagues Kassio Nunes Marques and Alexandre Moraes were in favor of the sport. The trial was interrupted by a request for view from Minister Rosa Weber.

If it is impossible to revoke the law in its entirety, Verlaine suggests specific changes, citing intermittent hiring. “It is necessary to negotiate with all political and social actors in order to bring about changes in this scorched earth scenario” he argues.

read more: ‘Labor Reform’: Stories of a False Promise and Changes in ‘Endless Destruction’

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 - 2020 - Glco Newspaper | All rights reserved