Connect with us

Economy

Former Uruguayan President Tabaré Vásquez dies at 80 – RBA

Published

on

São Paulo – Former Uruguayan president Tabaré Vásquez died in the early hours of Sunday. He was 80 years old and struggling with lung cancer. Tabaré, leader of the Frente Amplio who started a season of progressive governments in his country, was elected for the first time in the past decade and government from 2005 to 2010. Then he elected his successor José Pepe Mujica and won again for a new term, third followed by the Broad Front, between 2015 and 2020. It was succeeded in March by Luis Lacalle Pou, of the Liberal Party.

“His example of political integrity and unwavering commitment to our country and our people will drive us to continue his legacy,” says the Front Broad note released today. Under the governments of Vázquez and Pepe Mujica, Uruguay combined economic growth with income distribution, extensive investments in public education and health. The poverty rate fell from 40% to 8%, GDP increased by an average of 4% per year and the number of people with medical coverage increased from 700,000 to 2.5 million. The country also dared with the approval of laws that regulated the right to board, same-sex marriage and marijuana use.

A procession is scheduled for 1 pm, departing from the city of Montevideo, which will cover the streets of the Uruguayan capital. But the government and the Frente Ampla itself agreed to direct the population to stay at home or in their cars to respect social distance.

Parade

President Luis Lacalle Pou praised the political opponent and said that Tabaré Vasquez faced his battle with cancer with serenity and courage. “We had personal and political dialogues that I value and remember. He served his country with effort and achieved important successes. He was the president of the Uruguayans. The country is in mourning, ”he said in a statement.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

incompetence, neglect, omission and violation, says expert

Published

on

By

São Paulo – The record abstention (51.5%) on the first day of the National High School Examination (Enem) 2020 reflects the incompetence, neglect, undue omission of functional performance and violation of the duty of the Ministry of Education (MEC). The assessment was made today (18) by the executive president of the organization Todos pela Educação, Priscila Cruz.

Data from the National Institute of Educational Studies and Research Anísio Teixeira (Inep), the MEC organ responsible for the exam, of the 5,523,029 enrolled, 2,680,697 (48.5%) attended. A record abstention of 51.5%. In Enem’s 20 years, the record so far had been broken in 2009: 37.7%.

Enem exclusion

“The # Enem2020 with 51.5% effectiveness in excluding students”, Gregório Grisa, professor at the Federal Institute of Rio Grande do Sul (IFRGS) and specialist in educational data, recorded in his social networks.

The president of the National Union of Students (UNE), Iago Montalvão, recalled that the result confirmed the prognoses of the student entities. “Just as we said. Record abstention. Because the students didn’t want to take the exam. Not! Because they didn’t feel safe, and sometimes they were even prevented from entering crowded rooms. Another poorly organized Enem in the Bolsonaro government. The student loses! ”

Federal deputy Glauber Braga (Psol-RJ) mocked the Minister of Education, Pastor Milton Ribeiro. “The 1st day of Enem had a record abstaining of 51.5%. Most students did not. Several who were unable to enter and did not receive adequate satisfaction. The Minister of Education still had the courage to say that it was ‘a success’. The fight against denialism is daily. ”

check out

Copywriting: Cida de Oliveira – Edition: Helder Lima

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 - 2020 - Glco Newspaper | All rights reserved